Thursday, February 22, 2007

Chris Bosh on Jim Rome and the NBA All Star Game

I was driving around earlier this afternoon and happened to hear a little bit of the Jim Rome Show. Jim and his clones were talking about the interview they had just finished with Chris Bosh. Needless to say, there were a lot of impressed people. I personally didn't hear the interview, and I honestly don't think I missed a whole lot. The main theme of all the calls coming in was what a mature and refreshing guy Bosh was, and seemed well past his 22 years. Now that I think about it, I kind of wish I had heard the interview. One thing keeps crossing my mind. Was everybody impressed by what Bosh had to say because he is a relatively young man, and his insight into life was well past what we usually see out of other men his age, or was it because he blasted the stereotype of the young, black professional basketball player? Maybe he was just that enlightened that he blew everyone away. Maybe, he was a polished speaker that was able to carry on an intellectual conversation. Maybe, people just weren't expecting a young black man to be all of the above. It was so over the top that it became inadvertently racist and condescending. White America feels that almost every young black basketball player is an idiot, or a gang banger, or whatever, and when someone like Bosh or Tim Duncan comes along and doesn't sound like a fool, white guilt kicks in and people feel they have to point out how amazing it is that a 22 year old can speak like a 22 year old, and form complete thoughts and sentences that aren't littered with slang. Nobody is going to come right out and say it, but that has to be the first thought that goes through a lot of people's mind. If it's a great interview, it's a great interview, but you don't have to be condescending and be completely surprised that this young man is intelligent.

Sunday night was the NBA All Star Game. I was at at a bar waiting for the Avalanche-Canucks game to start, so I was forced to watch the beginning of the all star game (it was on 2 of the 5 big screen TVs above the bar, and on one right next to the hockey game). The first few minutes was filled with the skill and effort that is usually reserved for pickup games at the university fitness center. I can only imagine the smell on that court, sweat mixed in with a little dom perignon and stale bong water.. Yummy. There were a lot of bad passes, missed alley-oop attempts and brutal jump shooting. Thank god, the Avs game finally came on, and the sound of the NBA game was turned off. I did sneak a few peeks during breaks in the hockey game. I saw Christina Aguilera looking fantastic as usual. Remember the days when you and all your buddies thought for sure that she would be gracing the pages of Playboy within 5 years, then she went through that stage where she was pretty much a ditch pig, now she is as classy and sexy as ever. I thought I saw Wayne Newton too, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
Final score of the game; West 245 - East 224.
I hate the NBA, and all that it stands for, especially David Stern.

For the record, the Avs lost 5-4 and slammed home another nail in their playoff coffin.

Feedback is always welcome, TheRealStoney@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pac-Man Jones might have bitten a security guard at a strip club in Las Vegas this weekend during a fight where one his entourage members shot and paralyzed a bouncer. I'm sorry, what were you saying about us being surprised that a young black athlete could speak like a normal human being?